Mixing Muffin Batter
Follow instructions in your recipe. Most muffins are mixed using the following method:
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl with a whisk or fork to thoroughly distribute all ingredients completely.
- Combine the liquid (wet) ingredients in another bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients all at once.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened, 15 to 20 light strokes. There should be some small lumps.
- Chopped nuts, fruit and other small "add in" ingredients may be combined with the dry ingredients or folded gently into the batter near the end of mixing.
- Realize that overmixing can cause muffins to be tough, bake unevenly, create elongated holes (or tunnels) and/or form peaked tops.