Mixing Cookie Dough
Bar cookie dough can be mixed by hand or with an electric mixer. Take butter from refrigerator 30 minutes before using or cut into 1-inch pieces so it will blend more easily and evenly with other ingredients. Butter or margarine that is too soft or melted will change the texture of the cookie and should not be used.
Unless your recipe indicates otherwise, follow the steps below when making bar cookies:
- Combine (often described as "cream") softened butter (or other fat) and sugar (or other sweetener) with electric mixer (or by hand) until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs and liquid flavorings and continue mixing. This mixture may begin to look separated, but this will not affect the texture or flavor of the baked bar.
- Realize that most recipes combine the flour and other dry ingredients before adding them to the butter mixture.
- Raisins, chocolate chips, other "add ins" and sometimes oats, are added last.
- Once dry ingredients have been added, be careful as to not beat vigorously or overmix - which can result in tough cookies.