The Afterschool Alliance is the national voice of afterschool and the main organizing body of the afterschool movement, working to ensure that all children have access to affordable, quality afterschool programs. By partnering with the Afterschool Alliance, Quaker Chewy is helping to provide vital resources to 26,000 afterschool programs nationwide, including nutrition information and educational materials. For more information, check out the facts below and visit http://www.afterschoolalliance.org/
- More than 15 million children take care of themselves after the school day ends.
- Just 8.4 million children participate in afterschool programs—yet the parents of an additional 18.5 million children would sign up, if a program were available.
- Research shows that kids who participate in afterschool programs do better in school, and are more likely to graduate. A study of federally funded afterschool programs found that 45% of children improved their reading grades and 41% improved their math grades.
- Parents with children in afterschool programs are less stressed, have fewer unscheduled absences and are more productive at work.
- On school days, the hours between 3 and 6 p.m. are the peak hours for juvenile crime and other undesirable behaviors.
- Lights On Afterschool, a nationwide celebration of afterschool programs, attracts one million Americans to 7,500 events across the country in October each year.
- Quaker Chewy recognizes the long-term positive impact of afterschool programs and through its partnership with Afterschool Alliance, it is helping provide parents and families the critical support they need.